Monday, August 17, 2009

Champions Offline: The Patcher Boss Strikes!

I've had this downloaded for almost a week now and boy, was that a mistake. I guess Cryptic decided to release a different version of the download half an hour before the game went beta live and screwed the diligent folks. Silly me for thinking ahead.

And if you decided to download late, don't worry, the Patcher is fucked up too, so if it even starts up for you, you're in for a treat.

But first, a fix for anyone is in the same fail boat as me:

Patcher fix. has worked for me!!
Ok to much dismay and typical mmo release fashion.. champions online launch was far from flawless.. anyone who downloaded the fileplanet pre release before, you're slightly luckier then anyone who didnt.

Basically 2 weeks ago they released a pre launch was about 1.8gb to download and unlocked today, today they sent another prerelease version to fileplanet which is 1.9gb to download and was uploaded and hosted pretty much 5min before the game went live for open beta... if u did download the old version, you need to download the new version too, if u didnt download the old version, u have to download both versions to get the game to work with minimal frustration.

basically you have to install the old version first, then run the launcher, cancel it straight away and go into your game folder. in the folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live

or wherever you installed it to, you will see a heap of .hogg files, you need to cut these and paste them in the directory below overwritting the old files

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live\piggs

you will notice not all of the files will be overwritten (as in, they may have been left out of the release, who knows it's a mix up either way i'm guessing) and if you attempt to patch now, there is another 985mb waiting for you. at this point what you need todo is install the newer version of the beta client over the already installed game

go back into the

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live

folder and you will see those .hogg files in there again, cut and paste them into the same folder as before overwritting whatever isnt already there and then you should be good to start the patcher and find you only have to patch about 78mb which ill pause at regular intervals causing you to close and reopen the client untill it's completely updates and playable
I had to repeat this process twice because I soon found that the last step just ruined everything I had previously done for me. So just ignore it; do not go copy pastaing if you don't see any files, just run the patcher after you install the new copy of Champions.

Now let's talk about patching shall we? I kid you not, I only had 74 MB to download, but it's been about, ohhh, 3 hours now and I'm only at 35 downloaded. Again. Yes, since the patcher randomly decides to STOP THE FUCK UP AND NOT DOWNLOAD WITHOUT WARNING ERASING ALL YOUR PREVIOUS PROGRESS, you have to be on the ball and keep closing it, and reopening it again until it decides to load everything up. Trust me, this is HOURS of fun. Better than having to watch "Legally Blondes" or the fuckin' "Hannah Montana" movie.

So in the meanwhile, I've been reading all the Open Beta reviews that have been showing up, and WOW, there are a shit ton of bad ones. I asked my friend who skipped work and managed to get his game going in 7 hours as opposed to my 12, how it was, and he said, "If you like CoX, then you'll like Champions. You'll spend hours on the character creation alone."

And so I sit here, leveling my lowbie Warrior in hopes that maybe, sometime tonight, I'll get a glimpse at all the shit I'm missing. :(

No comments: