Sunday, July 29, 2007

Le Chevalier D'Eon



I recently watched this stylish series based on Ubukata Tow's historical fantasy and it's one of the few anime I've enjoyed in quite a while. It's a departure from the run of the mill, big titties, big swords/guns anime, and features instead a healthy dose of French history (D'Eon was quite real, although certainly not as pretty as the animated Leon), politics, killer poetry (literally) and just a wee bit of cross dressing.

Here's the opening dialogue:

"In the beginning was the Word. Those were the days when King Louis XV ruled... Versailles shone in all its glory, and upon the course of the Seine, flourished the city of Paris, pervaded by beauty and chaos. Time changes everything. Only the words remain. That is why I, D'Eon de Beaumont, tell the story of myself, and my comrades who believed in the spirit of France. I shall relate the events which ended an era, and of the woman's body found floating in the Seine. Her name was Lia de Beaumont. My elder sister."

For more info on release dates and such, check our ANN's mini info page here.

No comments: